Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Remembering Ruby Suter


This weekend, the theatre company I am apart of in the summers lost someone very dear to them...Ruby Suter. As many of you know, being in a company like The Aracoma Story (TAS) is just like being in a big extended family...so this loss is especially hard for many.

I don't even remember how long I've known Ruby! But the following are a few memories I shared with the group on a chat email circle we have...

Ruby was an AMAZING woman!
My first year with TAS (outside of the Shawnee Trail) during the summer was in Fiddler. Ruby always made me feel welcome...even at the auditions when I didn't know 95% of the people in the room!


I remember her ridiculous lines in Footloose as we were leaving the 'diner'. Since we have pretty much control of the show thanks to the "director" we could add anything we wanted, and she would always make some random comment about me calling her when I got home...or not getting hit when I was crossing the street. It became an every night moment that everyone in that scene looked forward to. She even went in with Michael Jo a couple times to try to throw me.
Did she wear roller skates in that scene? Does anyone remember?


When I was in this summer to see Lil' Abner, she was sitting right in front of me. When she turned around and saw me, she gave me one of those famous Ruby Suter hugs and was really excited that my boyfriend was there, and that she could meet him. She got extremely excited when I informed her that I would be back this summer to do the shows...and she was excited to try to play Dream Teller again.




It didn't hit me...like really hit me until I was reading the things others had written about her. What a lady! I'm very sad to say that there is no way I can make it home for any of the memorial services they are having for her, specifically the one at the park cabin with my TAS family.

1 comment:

Katy said...

Sorry for your loss Sam.

You get the message, but the lines are cut off on the end...uh oh!!

Luv ya anyway!!hehehe