Thursday, October 18, 2007

Library frustrations

So...
I'm sitting here at the Evansdale Library. I have a lot of things due on Monday and will be out of town this weekend, so I had this great plan to get everything done tonight and tomorrow.
Why am I blogging?
I'm glad you asked!
I'm so frustrated that if I don't vent my frustrations...at this point I will go home and sleep instead of doing my work.
Here's why I'm frustrated.

I have to do song translations for my lessons (totally normal thing) but the way my teacher has them set up *which is actually quite brilliant* is we do them in an excel spreadsheet which ends up getting added to the database of all his students...so in the end we have 234234982379 words from other pieces. Which is a great idea because that way we can just look up the words in the data base instead of having to go to the dictionary, etc specifically because a lot of songs are about the same things!
The downfall to this is that I have to have both a dictionary AND a computer (because the online translation sites that I've found don't give you the part of speech)
If I translate the words in my music...I have to go back and put them in the computer anyway...so it's twice as much work.
SO
I come to the Evansdale Library *the music library* to get dictionaries and to use the computer...
where are the German, French, and Italian dictionaries?
AT THE FLIPPING DOWNTOWN LIBRARY!
so now, I'm here...can't do anything productive...
The good news?
I have an Italian and a German dictionary at my house...that I JUST pulled from my locker last week. (Having them at school did me no good because there was no computer.)
So why don't you just go home, Sam?
WELL
THAT too is a good question!
Because I also have research on a "take home quiz" which is really a 2 page paper, to do tonight as well and the book I need is here...
The frustration with this one:
It's supposed to be a way for him (our extremely unorganized teacher) to guage how well we've been grasping the material of the class...
except
it defeats the entire purpose when we have to go to sources other than our text book and lecture notes to get the information.
Doesn't it?
I mean...if you want to know if we are getting the material from class...you should give us an assignment that reflects the material in class.
The topic is something to the effect of 'discuss Beethoven and his forms...how they progressed and his symphonies and how they progressed and how they influenced other composers.
Not a hard question.
However, he's so unorganized that the only things I have written in my notes from his lectures are
"Beethoven stretched forms"
...*blank stare*...
PLUS I left that information in the car because I was planning on concentrating on the translations at the present moment!

AHHH


ok so I pretty much just wasted about 10 minutes whining about stuff that is easily fixed.

But I STILL don't understand why they wouldn't have stinking dictionaries at the library!!!
IT'S THE LIBRARY!
I don't care if you have 2 of them!


I'm sorry you read this...and are now thinking...'geez, stop being a brat.'
I'm working on that

No comments: