Sunday, March 16, 2008

Let me tell ya 'bout my best friend Part II

I didn't intend on posting another story about Bethany, but I figured you were all dying to know about the Beowulf sock puppet show, so here it is!

Our senior year of high school, we studied the Beowulf epic (as most high school students do). Instead of simply reading this particular story, we had to do a "project." This project could be pretty much whatever we wanted it to be. For example, most of the kids in the classes made movies (which really means that the boys finally got the chance to do stupid things in front of a camera for a grade), others did storyboards, and some drew pictures or made statue things, etc. My friends (Lane, Leeann, Chris, Bethany) and I decided we wanted to do a live show of some sort. The movie idea was way over played anyway. I'm not 100% sure how the idea to do a sock puppet show came about *I THINK it was from Lane's genius* but there we were...5 creative kids, the Beowulf epic adventure, some plain socks, and the bottom half of the Calvary Baptist puppet ministry's stage curtain. I have no recollection of 90% of the details that went into making this show, and actually, the only reason I remember as much as I do is because we have it on tape. I do know, however, that Bethany was the narrator with the WORST British accent ever; Lane was the entire supporting cast and the king of Higlick *spelling*; Chris was Grendel, complete with a sock rolled glue, then rice, and spray pained green; Leeann was the most ghetto Beowulf to ever grace the stage, and I was Grendel's mom, who looked kind of like a bad drag queen *with a deep voice* until I screamed...which sounded like an opera singer. During the making of this production, we decided to reference as many ridiculous things as humanly possible including, but not limited to, The Scarlett Letter, Mario Brothers, Zelda, the phrase "shoot to kill!?", and the king's throne...which was a picture of a bedazzled toilet...

Needless to say, we were super under rehearsed and laughed almost the entire way through, but our teacher *and classmates* loved it so much, that we were forced to do it for the entire junior class. *shrug*

This story isn't nearly as funny (or dorky) as the Arabian Dance, but it still makes me laugh to replay it in my head!




AND I'm pretty sure my stories like this embarrass Bryan, so I figured why not another one! ;)

No comments: